Monday, July 21, 2008

The Adventure Begins

Welcome,

I thought I would open with an explanation of my self-proclaimed 'Adventure Through Movies'. This blog will detail my chronological journey through film that began in June 2002.

I was about to turn 17 and was bursting with a love for the cinema. My movie-watching habits were pretty haphazard. I would watch an assortment of old movies and new movies, while trying to watch as many Oscar-winning Best Pictures as I could. I also tried my best to see as many movies that were considered to be among "the greatest of all time". Eventually, I decided that I needed structure. An idea struck!  I could experience movies chronologically.  I decided to go all the way back to the dawn of film and work my way to the present. 

I wanted to attempt to put myself in the context of the era when film was created and I hoped to experience the passage of time along with the progression of film-making. In effect, I'd experience a history lesson through the cinema. The films that I chose to watch were typically those that I could imagine myself opting to see if I lived in that time period. As my adventure progressed, I began to watch movies based on who made them, who appeared in them, and their critical reception. A big thanks must be extended to my dad's massive film collection, as well as Netflix, and the Penn State libraries for allowing so many renowned and obscure films to be within my grasp.

In this blog, I will detail my experiment by listing each film that I've watched. I'd like to offer insight based on my perspective of the progression of cinema, as well as general thoughts on filmdom, and maybe some reviews. I hope that you will learn a little bit more about film and discover some of these movies that make up my adventure.

This is my life's work. Why not share it?

CinemaAdventurer

No comments: